Broadband SpecialistPosted on January 25, 2023
The position of Broadband Specialist is responsible for delivering technical assistance and project facilitation to municipal and regional entities on for broadband expansion including planning and infrastructure/construction of technology. The Broadband Specialist will join an organization that focuses on communication, integration with other EMDC programs, and outcomes.
EMDC delivers high-quality and impactful economic, community, business and workforce development services to municipalities, employers and individuals throughout the northeastern region of Maine. Services include small business impact lending to support job retention and boost the region’s economic vitality, business technical assistance, land use and transportation planning, government contracting technical assistance, and climate resiliency services. Our work is framed by building partnership and collaboration.
EMDC will build on existing and establish new relationships to cultivate Eastern Maine anchor institutions as potential investors in community-driven broadband solutions. The connections between affordable and equitable access to broadband can be connected to the mission of these institutions, be it health and wellness, education, economic development, or another focus.
- Provide support and education to communities and groups of communities within the Eastern Maine Counties of Penobscot and Piscataquis counties to help support broadband planning and community-driven infrastructure solutions;
- Actively engage with and support municipal broadband committees;
- Build on existing relationships to enter communities not yet developing broadband strategies to connect them with their peers and encourage engagement;
- Partner with National Digital Equity Center to develop a regional digital inclusion plan as part of a statewide plan;
- Support data collection and research; as needed;
- Identify potential community anchor institution broadband investment opportunities;
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Working knowledge of the principles, and practices, and applications of broadband accessibility.
- Ability to communicate and establish and maintain effective working relationships with local, state, and federal officials, and colleagues in other public and private agencies and institutions.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to present technical information and planning concepts clearly and effectively to a range of audiences.
- Up-to-date working knowledge of federal and state legislation, programs, regulations, and procedures related to broadband.
- Ability to organize and facilitate group and committee discussions leading to clear and identifiable outcomes.
- Ability to work with limited supervision, to organize and execute work assignments in a thorough and timely manner, to work under frequent time pressures and be able to keep several projects in progress at the same time.
- Willingness to travel, and to attend frequent night meetings, using personal vehicle for business use (reimbursable).
A minimum of a four-year college degree. Experience in project oversight, planning, outreach and meeting facilitation. Knowledge of the concepts, theories, principles, and practices of broadband project development and economic development at the regional and local level. Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
General business hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, though exempt positions will typically require work to be performed outside general business hours. Work is generally performed in an indoor, professional office environment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or listen, and regularly required to use a keyboard for typing. The employee is often required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. The employee must travel to different locations and must be able to provide own transportation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Disclaimer: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.