Business Development Specialist – Domestic TradePosted on August 23, 2022
Position Title: Business Development Specialist – Domestic Trade
Division: Maine PTAC
Level: Level 4- Program Specialist
FLSA Status: Exempt
Primary Office: Bangor, Maine
The position of Business Development Specialist – Domestic Trade is responsible for providing counseling, training, and technical assistance to Maine businesses, advising them how to identify, pursue and obtain markets for goods and services across the United States. The Business Development Specialist will join a department that employs a team approach, focusing on communication, integration with other EMDC programs, and outcomes.
This is a position for high energy, self-starters that genuinely enjoy teaching and working with people and businesses. It requires a sharp mind, a willingness to learn new things, and then teach those new topics to business owners.
Specific responsibilities include one-on-one counseling and training with business clients. This position requires strong client counseling skills and the ability to build professional relationships. We welcome candidates with experience working with small business clients in a legal, financial, or educational setting who possess a strong interest and aptitude for learning.
• Serves internal and external clients, partners, and the public in an honest, professional, ethical, effective, and efficient manner as a representative of EMDC. Maintains a thorough understanding of EMDC programs and services. Provides referrals and develops opportunities with businesses to utilize multiple services where appropriate
• Align business development efforts with domestic trade and marketing for local businesses.
• Build relationships with businesses and guide them by assessing their capacity/suitability for domestic trade through individualized counseling
• Assist business with: interpretation of regulations, registrations, certifications; finding opportunities, marketing to domestic buyers, proposal development, post-award activities and more
• Keep detailed and accurate records of counseling activities and client progress
• Ensures projects and contracts are completed within a deadline and on budget. Works with subcontractors, interns, or other parties as needed. Is able to handle multiple tasks and stay focused. Is willing to learn new things, collaborate with others, and take initiative.
• Prepare and update reports, plans, ordinances, and other planning-related documents as directed. Assist with contract management and grants development as needed.
• Other tasks as assigned
• Working knowledge of the principles, practices, and applications of community and regional business and economic development.
• Ability to communicate, establish, and maintain effective working relationships with local, state, and federal officials, and colleagues in other public and private agencies and institutions.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to present technical information and planning concepts clearly and effectively to a range of audiences.
• Up-to-date working knowledge of federal and state legislation, programs, regulations, and procedures related to planning and the particular area of specialization.
• Ability to organize and facilitate group and community discussions leading to clear and identifiable outcomes.
• Ability to work with limited supervision, to organize and execute work assignments in a thorough and timely manner, to work under frequent time pressures and be able to keep several projects in progress at the same time.
• Willingness to travel and to attend frequent night meetings, using personal vehicle for business use (reimbursable).
• Ability and willingness to occasionally travel out of state (reimbursable).
• Training/Instruction: Conducts training or provides guidance in a one-on-one setting in person, via phone, or virtually and able to develop and facilitate training webinars or in-person workshops to small groups.
• Customer Focus: Builds customer confidence, is committed to increasing customer satisfaction, sets achievable customer expectations, assumes responsibility for solving customer problems, ensures commitments to customers are met, solicits opinions and ideas from customers, responds to internal customers.
• Planning: Develops realistic plans, sets goals, creates contingency plans, coordinates events, cooperates with others.
• Teamwork: Meets all team deadlines and responsibilities, schedules appointments, listens to others and values opinions, helps team leader to meet goals, welcomes newcomers and promotes a team atmosphere.
• Communication: Communicates well both verbally and in writing, creates accurate and punctual reports, delivers presentations, shares information and ideas with others, has good listening skills.
• Computer skills: Skilled in the use of computers and online communications, adapts to new technology, learns new programs quickly, uses computers to improve productivity.
A minimum of a four-year college degree preferably in business, economics or related field is required. Knowledge of the concepts, theories, principles, and practices of business and economic development at the regional and local level. Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
General business hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, though exempt positions will typically require work to be performed outside general business hours. Work is generally performed in an indoor, professional office environment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or listen, and regularly required to use a keyboard for typing. The employee is often required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. The employee must travel to different locations and must be able to provide own transportation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.