Director of Business ServicesPosted on August 17, 2023
Under the overall direction of EMDC’s President & CEO, the Director of Business Services is responsible for the overall organization, administration, staffing and leadership of the department. The Director provides technical support and mentoring to Workforce Development employees. The Director will work closely with other senior management staff in order to develop and provide programs and services, which will directly benefit the client base of the agency.
Representative Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform duties and tasks as assigned by the President.
- Create and monitor all program and budget components of the program.
- Evaluate, expand, improve and develop programs and services of the workforce development department consistent with the mission of EMDC and the goals and objectives of the clients served.
- Work closely with LWIB to develop and manage workforce development strategies and policies. Provide report on program performance and budgets.
- Work in cooperation with other senior management team members to develop shared resources and improved programs and services of the overall agency.
- Support individual staff members by establishing and implementing goals and providing direction as to the future of the department and the agency as a whole.
- Serve clients, partners, and government agencies in an honest, professional, effective and efficient manner as a representative of EMDC.
- Assist clients and evaluate systems to insure training and performance goals are being met.
- Anticipate and provide recommendations regarding staffing needs to meet the workload and contractual obligation of current and future work.
- Support and further the EMDC mission while protecting the individual identities of the clients being served.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Experience and knowledge managing multiple large budgets and program delivery systems in the same time period.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Ability to facilitate large and small groups for problem-solving.
- Possess strong organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well with customers, co-workers, and supervisor.
- Understanding of Workforce Investment Act programs.
- Knowledge of adult learning theory and practice.
- Advanced knowledge of skills assessment.
- Knowledge of community and human services agencies and resources.
- Provide leadership and direction to staff.
- Experience with career and life skills development.
- Ability to work with disadvantaged population.
- Ability to meet goals in fast-paced environment.
- Valid driver’s license required with regular access to own vehicle.
- Regular attendance required.
Computer skills – Skilled in the use of computers, adapts to new technology, learns new programs quickly, uses computers to improve productivity.
Customer service – Handles customer questions and complaints, communicates with customers, handles service problems politely and efficiently, always available for customers, follows procedure to solve customer problems, understands company products and services, maintains pleasant and professional image.
Dependability – Meets commitments, works independently, accepts accountability, handles change, sets personal standards, stays focused under pressure, meets attendance/punctuality requirements.
Integrity/Ethics – Deals with others in a straightforward and honest manner, is accountable for actions, maintains confidentiality, supports company values, conveys good news and bad.
Teamwork – Meets all team deadlines and responsibilities, listens to others and values opinions, helps team leader to meet goals, welcomes newcomers and promotes a team atmosphere.
Director Specific Competencies:
Budget costs and controls – Plans for and uses resources efficiently, always looks for ways to reduce costs, creates accurate and realistic budgets, tracks and adjusts budgets, contributes to budget planning.
Communication – Communicates well both verbally and in writing, creates accurate and punctual reports, delivers presentations, shares information and ideas with others. Listens attentively to others, asks clarifying questions, stays open to other viewpoints, manages distractions and interruptions.
Decision Making/Judgment – Recognizes problems and responds, systematically gathers information, sorts through complex issues, seeks input from others, addresses root cause of issues, makes timely decisions, can make difficult decisions, uses consensus when possible, communicates decisions to others.
Leadership – Leads through change and adversity, makes the tough call when needed, builds consensus when appropriate, motivates and encourages others
Managing Conflict – Listens well, diffuses conflict before it starts, finds causes of and solutions to problems, handles difficult people
Managing Performance – Applies clear/consistent performance standards, handles performance problems decisively and objectively, is direct but tactful, provides guidance and assistance to improve performance.
Job Knowledge – Understands duties and responsibilities, has necessary job knowledge, has necessary technical skills, understands company mission/values, keeps job knowledge current, is in command of critical issues.
Planning – Develops realistic plans, sets goals, aligns plans with company goals, plans for and manages resources, creates contingency plans, coordinates/cooperates with others.
Problem Solving– Breaks down problems into small components, understands underlying issues, can simplify and process complex issues, understands the difference between critical details and unimportant facts.
Education/Experience: Bachelors’ degree and relevant combination of education, training and/or professional experience in employment and training services, which includes previous responsibility for fiscal management, policy development, and program management.
Working Conditions: General business hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Disclaimer: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.