PlannerPosted on January 25, 2023
The position of Planner is responsible for delivering technical assistance to municipal and regional entities on a broad array of land use, code enforcement, development, environmental and infrastructure topics. The Planner also provides the ESRI’s GIS mapping services for the EMDC region. The Planner will join a department that employs a team approach, focusing on communication, integration with other EMDC programs, and outcomes.
- Provide technical planning and related assistance to municipal officials.
- Work with local committees in drafting, review, and revision of local comprehensive, transportation and development plans that adhere to State and federal regulations, and other related materials.
- Organize and facilitate meetings to engage local and regional stakeholders in planning processes.
- Correctly and efficiently utilize and analyze demographic, economic, environmental, tabular and mapped sources of information for presentation in reports and to audiences in support of planning initiatives.
- Attend meetings of local, regional, and state groups and committees, planning seminars, and conferences. This includes evening meetings.
- Support efforts on Eastern Maine’s Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS) that reinforce EMDC’s designation as an Economic Development District (EDD).
- Support efforts and activities of EMDC’s Regional Planning Commission.
- Communicate and coordinate plans and projects with other EMDC staff, local and regional groups, and governmental agencies.
- Prepare and update reports, plans, ordinances, and other planning-related documents as directed. Assist with contract management and grants development as needed.
- Working knowledge of the principles, practices, and applications of community and regional planning, transportation planning, municipal land use planning, code enforcement, and resiliency planning. Knowledge of transportation planning is a plus.
- Ability to communicate, establish, and maintain effective working relationships with local, state, and federal officials, and colleagues in other public and private agencies and institutions.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to present technical information and planning concepts clearly and effectively to a range of audiences.
- Up-to-date working knowledge of federal and state legislation, programs, regulations, and procedures related to planning and the particular area of specialization.
- Working knowledge of GIS technology preferred.
- Ability to organize and facilitate group and committee discussions leading to clear and identifiable outcomes.
- Ability to work with limited supervision, to organize and execute work assignments in a thorough and timely manner, to work under frequent time pressures and be able to keep several projects in progress at the same time.
- Willingness to travel, and to attend frequent night meetings, using personal vehicle for business use (reimbursable).
A minimum of a four-year college degree in urban, regional or transportation planning or related field is required. Experience in community planning; knowledge of the concepts, theories, principles, and practices of planning and economic development at the regional and local level. Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
General business hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, though exempt positions will typically require work to be performed outside general business hours. Work is generally performed in an indoor, professional office environment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or listen, and regularly required to use a keyboard for typing. The employee is often required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. The employee must travel to different locations and must be able to provide own transportation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Disclaimer: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.